What is Zopiclone?
It is a non-benzodiazepine medication used as a sedative and an anxiolytic. Non-benzodiazepines also referred to as the Z-group of medications, are a class of psychoactive drugs used to treat sleep disorders in patients. They share similar pharmacodynamics to benzos but have a different molecular structure and a safer profile.
What are the uses of Zopiclone?
- It is used in people with insomnia to fall asleep quickly and have an undisturbed sleep phase.
- It has a low rate of rebound insomnia and is used in treating daytime anxiety.
- Off-label, it is used in cognitive behavioral therapy, a psycho-social intervention for patients’ mental health disorders.
What is the mechanism of action of Zopiclone?
The mechanism of action involves allosteric modulation of the GABAA receptor to achieve its therapeutic functions. Zopiclone displaces the binding of [3H]-flunitrazepam with an affinity of 28 nM and enhances the binding of the channel blocker [35S]-TBPS to produce its sedative and anxiolytic effects to the fullest extent.
What are the strengths and doses of Zopiclone?
It is available in strengths of 3.75mg and 7.5mg, of which, Zopiclone 7.5 mg is the most commonly used strength. The usual dose of it is one 7.5mg tablet required to be taken an hour before bedtime. In elderly patients and those with hepatic/ metabolic/nephritic disorders, the dose is reduced to 3.75mg once daily.
What is the onset period of Zopiclone 7.5 mg?
It takes an hour for the drug to start working on the body, with peak concentrations achieved within 1.5-2 hours. The effects last for 6-8 hours till the completion of its half-lives. After that time, it is eliminated from the body through metabolic wastes. Factors like the patient’s age, dietary intake, and the presence of systemic conditions can moderately impact the onset period.
Is Zopiclone good for sleep and anxiety?
Zopiclone reviews from health care professionals and patients with insomnia and anxiety have proved that it is good for getting quality sleep and relief from anxiety. But it should be used for the short-term and its use extended only 2-4 weeks. Patients should use the drug strictly under the guidance of their physician and, after completion of the usage period, taper its dosage instead of discontinuing it abruptly.
How to use Zopiclone 7.5mg in the best manner?
- Ensure that you use no more than one tablet within 24-36 hours
- Swallow the tablet whole instead of chewing, powdering, or breaking it
- Avoid driving and using heavy machinery after using the medication.
- In case of missing a dose, do not overdose on the medication to make up for the missed dose.
- Keep its usage to 2-3 weeks for safety reasons.
Can you buy Zopiclone in Australia?
It is available under the name of Imovane in Australia and is a controlled medication by status. It is not readily available over the counters, and you require a prescription for the medicines from registered pharmacies dealing with dispensing Zopiclone. You can even procure it from physicians’ clinics with licensed counters for supplying the medication.
Can you buy Zopiclone 7.5 mg tablets online in Australia?
You can buy Zopiclone online in Australia from e-pharmacies authorized for availing and dispensing benzodiazepine and non-benzodiazepine medications. Make sure to buy the drug from licensed pharmacies to avoid ending up with fake drugs.
What are the things to remember when buying Zopiclone online?
- Opt for an authentic online site that sells genuine drugs
- Ensure that the site you have selected has a customer care id/number to answer any queries regarding the drug
- Ascertain the correct dose of the medication before ordering so you don’t end up ordering the wrong dose.
- After delivery, check whether the medication is within its expiry period.
- Discard the medication if the package shows signs of tampering or the drug has a dull/ desiccated appearance
Can anyone use Zopiclone 7.5mg?
The drug is contraindicated in
- People are allergic to the ingredients of the medication or the drug in itself. Using it in such conditions can prove highly uncomfortable and, at times, life-threatening.
- In patients with a tendency for hypersensitivity reactions
- In patients with Myasthenia Gravis
- In pregnant women
What are the side effects of using it?
Mild Side-Effects– nausea, vomiting, dizziness, lightheadedness, bitter taste, dry mouth, and stomach upset
Moderate Side-Effects– drowsiness, tiredness, nightmares, skin rashes, confusion, lethargy
Severe Side-Effects– double vision, depression, agitation, hallucinations
What are the drug interactions associated with the use of it?
With anti-anxiety agents
Anti-anxiety agents like Lorazepam, Clonazepam, and Alprazolam should be avoided concomitantly with Zopiclone to prevent the risk of severe side effects.
Anticonvulsants like Carbamazepine, Gabapentin, and Phenytoin, when used concomitantly with Zopiclone, can lead to side effects of dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and occasional motor coordination issues.
Antihistamines like cetirizine, doxylamine, diphenhydramine, hydroxyzine, and loratadine can increase the drug’s metabolism and lead to unwanted side effects in the patient.
With alcohol and other liquids
Both Zopiclone and alcohol have sedative properties. Concomitant use of the two medications can make you excessively sleepy and unable to wake up. The use of it is further contraindicated in patients with lactose intolerance and gluten intolerance because of the presence of lactose and starch as inactive ingredients. Even grapefruit juice should be avoided with Zopiclone.
When should you stop using Zopiclone?
The drug should be discontinued when
- You develop side-effects or intolerance effects to its use.
- When your insomnia exacerbates further instead of improving on using it
- When you observe unnatural mood swings as side-effects of the drug
There are no reviews yet.